Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 - Another epic year in the books

To say that I enjoyed 2012 would be an understatement.  Not surprising to most, a number of my days were spent chasing fish.  I enjoyed fishing my usual haunts in and around Pulaski, NY and was lucky enough to explore and fish in America's last frontier.  Each month of 2012 was special in its own way.  If you have a moment, keep reading and enjoy some photos and videos as a 2012 "Year in Review" of sorts.  As I write this and go through photos from this year, I realize how lucky I really am.  I wish you all a safe and happy New Year's Eve and 2013.  I have a feeling 2013 is going to be a good one.  Enjoy life to the fullest and do what you love to do each day, whatever that may be.  Here's to tight lines and fishy tales in 2013!

KH

January
I spent most of the first month in 2012 wrapping up my extended tour in NYC for a work project.  After over 16 months living in a hotel in NYC, it was nice to see the light at the end of that tunnel.  Luckily for me, I was able to travel home on weekends in order to get some time in the woods and on the River in order to balance out the hectic city life.  This is more my speed!




February
We had an unusually mild winter in 2012.  This made for much more pleasant winter steelhead fishing.  However, the lesser amounts of snow and resultant snow pack would cause some concern during the spring melt.  But when you can't do anything about it, might as well enjoy the pleasant present!



March
March is usually a turning point for the weather in central New York.  The days get longer and the sun begins to warm more and more each day.  Typically, we will get one "last hurrah" storm in March.  With a keen eye you will notice the lack of snow on the ground in the backdrop of these photos.



April
The mild weather continued into April.  With the weather window remaining open, my Dad and I decided to continue construction on my cabin that we started in the fall of 2011.  I made a trip to Nashville to visit some old friends and see Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Ryman Auditorium (You all know I enjoy their music, I need not elaborate on this topic).  And of course, spring steelhead fishing!




May
The arrival of May usually signals the departure of the steelhead from the Salmon River as they head back to Lake Ontario following the spawn.  As the steelhead exit, the smallmouth bass enter the local streams to spawn.  I also discovered a new warm water target to hold me over during the summer months.  Carp on the fly!



June
June brings warm weather long days and less and less opportunity to catch trout!  But have no fear, the local warm water ponds provide ample opportunity to catch fish on the fly.



July
My birthday month was chock-full of gifts and adventure this year.  Early in the month, I took a trip to the Adirondack Mountains with co-workers.  I made a trip to Chicago to visit my sister and brother in law and attended my 5th Tedeschi Trucks Band show (See above statement about TTB.  I have a thing for Susan Tedeschi).  To top it off, while in Chicago my cabin was finished off thanks to some local hard working Amish fellows.




August
August, the dog days of summer.  Unfortunately, I didn't spend as much time on the big Lake as I have in years past.  I did get out one day as the salmon fishing was beginning to heat up.  Much of my time was also allocated to preparing for a big trip to come in September.  Clearly organized chaos was my method of getting gear ready for the trip!



September
Alaska!!  It is truly a place of unmatched beauty.  I spent two weeks in this majestic place and not a moment was wasted.  The first week I traveled around hiking and taking photos from Kenai Fjords National Park in Seward, through the Matanuska River Valley and finally to Denali National Park.  The second week I spent fly fishing at the Royal Coachman Lodge in Bristol Bay.  What a place!




October
Back to normal life after the Alaska trip.  Fortunately, normal life in October includes some of the best salmon and trout fishing in the Salmon River and other local Lake O. tributaries.  For a second straight year, I had a high school reunion of sorts with two old friends, Tony Gugino and Chad Nicholson.  What better place to meet and hang out than on the river!



November
After much introspection, I decided to dive in head first and get my NYS fishing guide license.  This was a big move for me and it took a lot of time to convince myself that I should do it.  But at the end of the day, I love fishing and I can't think of anything better than to share that passion and teach others how to catch these beautiful fish.  Also, the fishing in November was pretty great!



December
Here we are, the end of the year already.  With 11 months in the rear view mirror, December allows us to take a look back and look ahead at what is to come.  It is also the time of year to enjoy the company of family and friends.  This year, I was luck enough to take several family members steelhead fishing during the week of Christmas.  The weather can make it a little brutal, but seeing their excitement about hooking and landing one of these beautiful fish makes it all worthwhile.  In my mind, there is nothing better!




No comments:

Post a Comment